Sunday 27 March 2016

Day 14

CD#59 Michael Manring - Soliloquy

Like the Eric Roche CD, this loses something from only being able to be heard, especially some of the more extreme noises and rhythms.

CD#60 Michael Rattray Allstars - Smile At Who You Need To

As far as I can recall I got this from gigging with him/them but I have no idea where or when (which shows I can't remember much). Perfectly passable indie/pop/rock.

- - - - - - - - - -
At this point I counted up the CDs and discarded those that are downloaded albums written to CD, cover disks and compilations where I later bought all the albums (The Smiths, for example, I had all the albums on vinyl so bought a Best Of CD, then bought all the albums on CD). This has compressed the target to 456 CDs (I can include the rest on another listening challenge if I'm daft enough to).

So I make that just over 13% of the way there.

Onwards !
- - - - - - - - - -

CD#61 Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - How I Long To Feel That Summer In My Heart

I discovered the Mynci's (no idea if they mind me abbreviating their name like that, but it saves writing Gorky's Zygotic Mynci again) on a compilation that will turn up later. Patio Song was the tune, but it's not on this album, one of a number of theirs I own. I'm not sure I've listened to them all up to now but thanks to this blog it's only a matter of time.

CD#62 Blues Traveler - four

Back in the days before the internet I used to watch a US comedy import called Roseanne.
Apart from the episode where they replaced the eldest daughter with a new actress (who I last saw on Scrubs) when they included some "we know you know" gags, and at least three of the actors ending up on The Big Bang Theory at various points, there was an episode where Roseanne and Dan had something to do with a band (no memory as to why and I can't be bothered to look) and it finished off with the band playing a song which I thought was fantastic, with some mad harmonica playing. 
I had no way of finding out who the band were until a few years later when I was watching a film about bowling and the Amish (Kingpin - Woody Harrelson, Randy Quaid) and it ended with THE BAND playing over the credits.
Because it was on VHS and my TV wasn't great I could barely make out the credits, but I made my best guess and went to a record shop in town (Spinadisc, no longer there) to ask about what I thought might be the name of the band. They had one CD, which I bought and took home.
Skipping through I got to track nine and there it was, a song called Hook.

There are some other tunes which are pretty good too, but nothing beats Hook and the journey I went on to find it. (apart from my two-year search for Lorraine Ellison's original version of Stay With Me, which is a whole other story, but on vinyl - stunning song though)

Nowadays I'd google it and be listening to it on YouTube before the credits had finished.

CD#63 Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom

One of his best, when he made interesting music that didn't follow an EC formula, which is how his more recent stuff sounds to me. I don't think his song writing has necessarily changed, but to my ears what comes out of the studio has been diluted over time, probably from Spike, maybe before.


No comments:

Post a Comment