Friday 18 March 2016

Day 5

CD#18 Stars - Set Yourself On Fire

I bought this because of a glowing review in the Guardian weekend magazine and I've listened to it twice since then. It's not awful, it's just not much of anything really, you could have it on in the background at a dinner party (I imagine, I'm not one for dinner parties) without it being too obtrusive, which is not a great reason for its existence ;O)

CD#19 Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III

When a lot of my classmates were listening to Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rush et al., I was listening to The Clash, Sex Pistols and The Jam. For many years my favourite Led Zep song was D'jer Mak'er from Houses of the Holy, but a few years ago I picked up the first four Led Zeppelin albums in an attempt to see what all the fuss was about. I do like them, but they're not going to be anywhere near the top of any list I might make.

CD#20 Hensley & Wright - Strong

I saw them as a vocalist/guitarist duo (there's added bass and vocals on the CD) at The Silver Moon in Hitchen when I was gigging as the bass player in a duo called Cloudy, and at the time I was very much into buying CDs from acts wherever possible (though within reason, we did see some acts that I felt it best not to encourage ;O)  ) and they were very good. IIRC it was the night that we were the last act on for an evening in a room that had been packed for all the locals before us . . . we played to two or three people. Nevertheless this CD is definitely worth a listen.

CD#21 Toyah - Sheep Farming In Barnet

Before the more mainstream pop of I Wanna Be Free there was Toyah the band, which was much more interesting. Like a lot of people I found them through a performance (Danced) on Shoestring, bought this album and a couple of singles before it all went a bit rubbish. I still love this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment