Thursday 17 March 2016

Day 4

CD#14 World Party - Private Revolution

Essentially a Karl Wallinger solo album, the first few tracks shout 80s ! at you in terms of its sounds and production, though it settles down a little later on. I bought it originally to be able to hear Ship Of Fools and that's far and away the stand-out track for me, though there are one or two others that catch the ear too.

CD#15 XTC - Mummer

This is the first CD on the list which I already owned on vinyl when it was bought - I still have all my vinyl, LPs and singles, and those that aren't duplicated on CD might end up as a Playing All My Vinyl LPs blog if I get to the end of this one ;O)
While I'm a huge fan of XTC and have all their studio albums they did lose something for me over the span of their recorded output, having said that this is a good one.


CD#16 Elvis Costello - When I was Cruel

I loved Elvis Costello for years, but ran out of steam a bit after Spike (11/12 great albums though, so not too shabby) and didn't seek out any of his new material for a long time. Since then I've picked up bits and pieces but not heard anything to blow me away like he does at his best. I must confess I bought this a few years ago but this is the first time I've listened to it all the way through.
Steve Nieve and Pete Thomas are there but no Bruce Thomas (one of my favourite bass players), and the bass is less prominent than my favourite EC songs, though there are one or two moments where it's possible to think he might be playing. It's not a dreadful album but the best bits are those that remind me of the really good ones. 

CD#17 Silver Sun - Silver Sun

The Beach Boys crossed with The Toy Dolls - need I say more ?

Brilliant.

Bonus points if you can make any sense of the lyrics to Lava.

No comments:

Post a Comment