Tuesday 22 March 2016

Day 9

CD#38 The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

I finally got round to buying this iconic album a view years ago and was disappointed. On listening again I've now come to the conclusion that I was right first time. God Only Knows is sublime, and Wouldn't It Be Nice is not far off, but take them away and there's not much left.

CD#39 Eric Roche - With These Hands

I've got a few of these one-man-with-a-guitar CDs, and whilst most of them contain some pleasant pieces of music there is one huge problem for me.

In my opinion, most of the time they would sound better if they were played by more than one musician, and this is clear when all you have is the sound and not the sight of the musician performing the gymnastics often needed to combine all the sounds you hear. The guitar sound is compromised by the setup of the instrument so it's easier to tap and the rhythmic accompaniment is a series of taps and thumps in the places where something can be squeezed in.

So while I admire the skill and the dedication which allows someone to create these pieces with one guitar and no loops or any support from another musician, in the cold light of day it's not as good as it could be.

CD#40 Rilo Kiley - Take Offs and Landings

Their first album, a long way from the neutered, polished Under The Blacklight. I do like quirky, adventurous indie-pop and this album is a fine example.

CD#41 Small Faces - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake

If I'd paid £20 for this CD and all it had on it was Afterglow of Your Love it would have been money well spent, but as it turned out there were lots of other great tunes (and Stanley Unwin) on it too, so it was an absolute bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment