Sunday 3 April 2016

Day 21

CD#88 Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of Summer Lawns

I've got quite a few Joni Mitchell albums, without ever being a huge fan. Having said that they're always interesting lyrically and always have some nice playing on them, so while they rarely make my heart leap they're definitely worth spending time with.

CD#89 The Strokes - Is This It

It needs a question mark, but otherwise the title sums it up nicely.


CD#90 McAlmont & Butler - The Sound of . . .

A little overblown in places perhaps, but nevertheless huge fun.

CD#91 Voice of the Beehive - Honey Lingers

I saw them at a local venue around the time of the first album and despite seeing many punk gigs in the past this was the only gig where I encountered any violence - for reasons I still can't explain some random bloke punched me in the back of the head - twice - during one of the songs - I retreated to the back of the room and my unknown assailant left me alone from then on - weird.

CD#92 Julie Fowlis - Cuilidh

This is a collection of songs from Julie's home of North Uist, sung in Gaelic - no idea what the songs are about but the singing is wonderful and the accompaniment superb, so who cares?

CD#93 Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!

Possibly the first example of me buying random music because of the packaging, I bought the vinyl version of this on picture disc from a shop somewhere in London because it looked a bit mad. It is, wonderfully mad.

CD#94 Mercury Rev - The Secret Migration

Another recent purchase, I knew nothing about the band other than I'd heard the name before. Wiki suggests the earlier stuff might be more fun - it's ok, but it's not saying "buy all the stuff we ever made in case it's as good as this".


No comments:

Post a Comment